Sawrey House Accessibility Statement
The following statements describe the access procedures for the facilities at Sawrey House Hotel, Near Sawrey, Ambleside and are designed to take into consideration as many aspects of guests’ disability with regard to the building and facilities we offer for all guests.
As owners at Sawrey House Hotel, we wish for all guests to have a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and will attempt to do our best to provide for all. All issues that may arise with regard to disabled access will be fully considered for each individual.
Sawrey House Hotel is a traditional Lakeland built house dating back to 1830 when it was originally built. It has retained its features and building shape as part of the conservation area that makes up Near Sawrey and the larger Lake District National Park authority. It is impractical to make wholescale changes to this multi levelled building and to alter the character of this grand House. We do however intend to make Sawrey House as accessible as possible in order that as many people as possible can enjoy a wonderful stay with us.
- We do not allow pets due to the nature of the property and possible infringement on the stay of other guests.
- Breakfast is a combination of self service Continental buffet and waiter service for hot breakfast items. Breakfast can be totally served if required and can also be delivered to a room.
- Mobile phone coverage is limited within the local area and Vodaphone or O2 is recommended. There is no public telephone box in the village.
- Public transport is limited in the area and particularly in the winter. We can provide bus timetables and they are also displayed at the village bus stops.
- The Windermere car ferry can operate limited hours in times of severe weather or during repairs and maintenance. We are able to contact them to check if the ferry is running if residents request it.
- Visitor attractions with disabled access can be found on www.golakes.co.uk and on literature provided within Sawrey House.
- There has been a comprehensive risk assessment undertaken with the advice of a consultant company taken into full consideration.
- There are smoke and heat detectors in all rooms and emergency lights for guidance in the event of a fire.
- All areas have access to fully maintained fire extinguishers. The advice to residence is to vacate the hotel and to only use these in the event of being unable to bypass the fire.
- All rooms contain fire procedure/actions and evacuation areas in the event of a fire.
- All external doors are able to access the outside of the building
- The large car park to the hotel is a gravelled area and is uneven in places. At night and dull days this is lit by post lights along the length of the car park and light from the flood light illuminating the building.
- From the car park there are 3 steps into the entrance way. There is a portable ramp to help with external steps if needed.
- All entrances into the hotel require that residents have to use slate or stone steps.
- All steps leading from the car park to the hotel vary in height from 5 inches at the lowest to 10 inches at the highest.
- There is no access to the house other than by the use of steps or mobile ramp.
Access within the Hotel
- On the ground floor there are 2 bedrooms, bar area, dining room and breakfast room as well as the main reception area.
- All other bedrooms are located on the first and second floors and are accessed by 4 flights of stairs from the main reception area, consisting of 3 steps then a landing, then 4 steps then a landing, then 9 steps then a landing, then a further 5 steps to reach the main landing area of the first floor.
- The second staircase reaches the first and second floors and is located off the corridor from the main reception area and consists of 2 flights of 11 steps then a landing and then a further 11 steps to reach each floor.
- All stairs are carpeted.
- Only the ground floor double room is adequate to accommodate the use of a wheelchair.
Accessibility to the grounds and surrounding area
- All areas of the grounds are by use of stone/slate steps.
- There are various levels within the grounds all accessed by slate steps.
- All steps vary in height and width and are unable to be hand railed.
- There is a TV with radio facilities provided in all rooms. These will accept a variety of headphone systems.
- Guests are always escorted to their rooms where all issues connected to the house are explained and all written information is given and explained.
- Additional lighting can be provided on request for all residents.
- Guests are initially escorted to their rooms where all hazards/issues concerning disability problems can be discussed and hopefully resolved.
- All rooms have en-suite facilities, however these are not all wheelchair accessible for showers and hand basins.
- Toilet facilities are not adapted for wheelchair access due to the nature of the en-suite designs and size restrictions.
WE WILL DO OUR VERY BEST TO ACCOMMODATE ALL RESIDENTS